When it comes to ordering a drink at a bar or restaurant, there are many options available. A popular choice among many is a well drink. A well drink is a type of mixed drink that is made using the bar’s lower-priced liquor. In this article, we will explore the ins and outs of ordering a well drink.
Welcome to this guide on how to order well drinks! Many people are intimidated when it comes to ordering drinks at a bar, but it doesn’t have to be a daunting experience. In this guide, we will walk you through the basics of ordering well drinks, including what they are, how to order them, and some tips for making the process smoother. Whether it’s your first time at a bar or you’re just looking to improve your ordering skills, this guide will help you feel more confident the next time you step up to the bar.
Understanding Well Drinks
Before we dive into how to order a well drink, let’s first take a moment to understand what it is. A well drink is a type of mixed drink that is made using the bar’s lower-priced liquor. This liquor is typically stored in the “well,” which is a space underneath the bar where the bartender can easily access it. Because well drinks are made using lower-priced liquor, they tend to be less expensive than other mixed drinks.
Types of Well Drinks
There are many different types of well drinks available. Some popular options include:
- Rum and Coke
- Vodka Tonic
- Gin and Tonic
- Whiskey Sour
How to Order a Well Drink
Ordering a well drink is a relatively straightforward process. To order a well drink, simply tell the bartender the name of the drink you want and specify that you would like it made with the bar’s well liquor. For example, if you wanted a rum and coke, you would say “rum and coke, please, made with the well rum.”
Tips for Ordering a Well Drink
When ordering a well drink, there are a few tips that you should keep in mind. These include:
- Be specific: When ordering a well drink, make sure to specify that you want it made with the bar’s well liquor. This will ensure that you are not given a higher-priced alternative.
- Be polite: Bartenders are busy people, so make sure to be polite and respectful when placing your order.
- Know what you want: Before approaching the bartender, decide what type of well drink you want. This will make the ordering process quicker and smoother.
Pros and Cons of Ordering Well Drinks
Like any type of drink, there are both pros and cons to ordering a well drink. Some of the pros of ordering a well drink include:
- Affordability: Well drinks are typically less expensive than other mixed drinks.
- Consistency: Because well drinks are made using the same liquor, they tend to be consistent in taste.
- Availability: Well drinks are typically available at most bars and restaurants.
Some of the cons of ordering a well drink include:
- Quality: Well drinks are made using lower-priced liquor, which can affect the quality of the drink.
- Limited options: Because well drinks are made using the bar’s lower-priced liquor, the options available may be limited.
Key takeaway: Ordering well drinks can be an affordable and consistent option for those looking to save money or keep it simple when it comes to their drink choices. It’s important to be specific and polite when ordering, and to keep in mind the pros and cons of selecting a well drink versus other options. For those interested in making their own well drinks, there are a variety of easy recipes to try.
Making Your Own Well Drinks
If you are hosting a party or just want to save money on drinks, making your own well drinks is a great option. To make a well drink, simply combine the bar’s well liquor with your favorite mixer. Here are a few well drink recipes to try:
- Rum and Coke: Combine one shot of well rum with a can of Coke.
- Vodka Tonic: Combine one shot of well vodka with tonic water and a lime wedge.
- Gin and Tonic: Combine one shot of well gin with tonic water and a lime wedge.
- Whiskey Sour: Combine one shot of well whiskey with sour mix and a cherry.
- Margarita: Combine one shot of well tequila with lime juice, triple sec, and salt on the rim of the glass.
FAQs for How to Order Well Drinks
What are well drinks?
Well drinks are standard mixed drinks that are made with the establishment’s cheaper or more affordable house liquors. They are not premium cocktails made with top-shelf liquors and are typically less expensive. These are a great option if you’re on a budget or looking for a standard mixed drink.
How do I order a well drink?
To order a well drink, simply ask the bartender or server for the name of the drink you want, followed by the name of the liquor. For example, if you want a vodka and cranberry, you can ask for a “vodka cranberry, well vodka please.” This lets the bartender know that you want a well drink as opposed to a premium one.
Can I customize my well drink?
Yes, you can customize your well drink. If you have specific preferences on how you want your drink made, make sure to let the bartender or server know. You can also ask for a specific brand of mixer, like cranberry juice or soda water.
How do I know if a drink is a well drink on the menu?
Most establishments will use the term “well” or “house” to indicate that a drink is made with their standard or more affordable liquors. If you’re not sure, you can always ask your server or bartender before ordering.
Are there any downsides to ordering a well drink?
The main downside to ordering a well drink is that the quality of the liquor might not be as high as premium liquors. However, this is subjective and depends on personal preference. Additionally, well drinks might be sweeter or have more mixer, so if you prefer a stronger drink, you might want to opt for a premium drink instead.